Day 1 Flight to Longyearbyen
Welcome to Longyearbyen, we will greet you at the airport and escort you to your accommodation in the city. Normally our flights arrive in the night but we will have time to explore Longyearbyen in the morning.
Transport: Private vehicle and aeroplane
Day 2 Plateau Mountain and the Frozen Garden of Eden
Our first hike will immerse us in the unique atmosphere of this wild archipelago with breathtaking views of Adventfjord and the village of Longyearbyen. As we climb up perhaps we will spot little auks nesting in the cliffs by us as well as a variety of rich minerals and colourful flora. Our hike ends at the global seed reserve, this impressive Noahs Ark type refuge is found in the middle of these icy lands; it stores a large number of our planets existing botanical species.
Activities: around 5 hours of hiking
Day 3 The Two Glaciers Hike
Todays stunning hike starts and ends at our accommodation, first we will follow the Nybyen, valley where the hillsides are speckled with reminders of former mining days, to Lars glacier. Our route continues up Lars Glacier to a crest with simply stunning views of the area and descends via Longyear Glacier.
Activities: around 5-6 hours of hiking
Day 4 Isjford Cruise
This morning we will board a former fishing boat for a day tour of the most beautiful areas of the Isfjord. You can expect to see a large variety of birds like petrels, puffins and guillemots as well as views of Esmark Glacier and its numerous icebergs where seals bask in the sun. A bountiful salmon lunch is served on board and the cruise continues towards the cliffs of Alkhornet where thousands of migratory birds nest. Last but certainly not least, will visit the Russian city of Barentsburg, Svalbards second largest city before returning to Longyeabyen for dinner.
Transport: Boat trip
Days 5 to 6 Climbing Nordenskiöld Glacier
Today we summit the impressive Nordenskiöld Glacier. We will follow a river of cast iron up to Sverdru plateau where reindeer graze - the geological formations and fossils in this area are remarkable. Then, if conditions allow, we will follow the ridge up to the summit.
Activities: around 6-7 hours of hiking
Day 7 Foxfanna Glacier
A short minibus journey will enable us to visit one of the last remaining active mines on Spitsbergen. Our hike today includes walking on Foxfanna Glacier; keep your eyes open for reindeer and migratory birds (phalaropes, geese, turns...) as we descend through the tundra fields.
Activities: around 5 hours of hiking
Day 8 Farewell Spitsbergen
Morning transfer to the airport and flight home
Other trips you may like
Dates & prices
Departures for English-speaking groups:
|From||To||Price per person||Guaranteed||Booking|
Departures for French-speaking groups:
No departure for now
Trip code: ENSPT2CA
- Airport transfers
- Guesthouse accommodation in Longyearbyen, shared facilities
- Full supervision by an experienced professional guide, all hikes are guided
- Full board except one evening meal (day 9)
- Day cruise of Isjford, includes lunch, Esmark Glacier, Alkhornet cliffs and Barentsburg
- Midnight sun cruise Longyearbyen - Svea Glacier - Longyearbyen
- Registration fee: €18 per person (free for under 12s)
- Evening meal on day 9 in Longyearbyen (kitchen facilities/restaurant options available)
- Meal in a local restaurant: from €30
- Svalbard museum: from €9
- Summer dog-sledding: from €110 for a half day excursion
- Sea-kayaking: prices vary (please contact us for more information)
Comfort: 4/5 Comfortable
Difficulty: 2/5 Moderate
Budget & exchange
- Any additional activities
- Drinks and personal expenses
- One evening meal in Longyearbyen, kitchen facilities, shops and restaurants available.
- A Sarsat beason
- A VHF radio
- A heavy caliber rifle
- An alarm gun
- A copy of Spitsbergens animal records
- A first aid kit
- Books about local flora and fauna
Our advice for keeping warm
- No cotton
- Bring dry spares of everything, including underwear and gloves
- Wear multiple layers including:
- A warm breathable base layer
- A second thermal layer
- Wind and waterproof protective out layers
Health information & recommendations
- The Norweigian Svalbard archipelago is the closest territory to the North Pole; Spitsbergen is the name of the largest island.
- Svalbard covers an area of around 39146 square miles (63000km2) and two thirds of this polar world are constantly covered by ice.
- The archipelago was deserted by human civilisation for a very long time but today has over 2600 inhabitants.
- The archipelago has 3 National Parks, 3 Nature Reserves, 15 Ornithological Reserves (bird reserves) and 3 Botanical Reserves.