Day 1 Flight to Longyearbyen
Welcome to Longyearbyen, we will greet you at the airport and escort you to your accommodation in the city. Normally our flights arrive in the night but we will have time to explore Longyearbyen in the morning.
Transport: Private vehicle and aeroplane
Day 2 Plateau Mountain and the Frozen Garden of Eden
Our first hike will immerse us in the unique atmosphere of this wild archipelago with breathtaking views of Adventfjord and the village of Longyearbyen. As we climb up perhaps we will spot little auks nesting in the cliffs by us as well as a variety of rich minerals and colourful flora. Our hike ends at the global seed reserve, this impressive Noahs Ark type refuge is found in the middle of these icy lands; it stores a large number of our planets existing botanical species.
Activities: around 5 hours of hiking
Day 3 The Two Glaciers Hike
Todays stunning hike starts and ends at our accommodation, first we will follow the Nybyen, valley where the hillsides are speckled with reminders of former mining days, to Lars glacier. Our route continues up Lars Glacier to a crest with simply stunning views of the area and descends via Longyear Glacier.
Activities: around 5-6 hours of hiking
Day 4 Bjorndalen Valley and City Tour
This morning we drive to the Bjorndalen Valley (Bear Valley). This huge glacier valley is home to many birds. Here we have the possibility to observe the flora specific to the Arctic region, abundant and more varied in this valley than anywhere else.
The hike ends with a picnic at the edge of the ocean where we face the glaciers of the north bank of the Isfjord.
We then take the road back, sneaking between the most beautiful cottages in Longyearbyen.
Stop at a lagoon or different species of wild geese nest each summer in the company of the famous Arctic terns with which they share this habitat.
Once back in the city in the afternoon, those who wish can make the most of this free time to visit the museum of the Arctic (recommended, 10 €) or to freely visit the city.
Last diner and last night in the guesthouse.
Transport: 3 hours hiking
Day 5 Cruise in the Isfjord: visit to the abandoned Russian city of Pyramiden
This morning, you have the possibility to either take some free time to prepare for the departure or take the boat for Barensburg at 8:30 (optional) to complete your discovery of the Russian cities of the archipelago.
In the early afternoon, we will embark for a day of navigation (2 to 3 hours) to discover the most beautiful areas of the Isfjord. We will be accompanied during our crossing by many seabirds (petrels, puffins, mergules, guillemots ...) before enjoying the Nordenskjöll glacier and its many icebergs where you can find some bearded seals basking themselves.
The afternoon will be spent visiting the Russian city of Pyramiden, an abandoned mining town in the 80s whose visit remains a highlight of the stay because here we plunge into the past that is frozen in time. We stay in this city for two nights.
Warm night and Russian meal at the end of the day, this is an experience of the most exotic.
Day 6 Pyramiden Valley and surrounding peaks
After a hearty breakfast, we leave for a day hike to discover the surrounding mountains of this forgotten city.
We plunge into the Pyramiden Valley. Our hike is punctuated by breaks by the pretty lakes with transparent water.
At the bottom of the valley, the ice cap of Jotunfonna stands majestically in front of us.
We hike up untill we are at the same height of the surrounding peaks to enjoy this beautiful panorama.
In the evening, return to the Pyramiden hotel and Russian dinner.
Day 7 Hiking and back to Longyearbyen
We leave for a new hike towards the higher ground of Pyramiden. The view of the fjord is absolutely incredible in this environment. In the afternoon we take the boat to Longyearbyen. Along the way, we head towards Diabasodden, an imposing cliff where thousands of migratory birds nest.
At the end of the day, we arrival to Longyearbyen. Enjoy a meal in town on your own expences.
Activities: around 5 hours of hiking
Day 8 Farewell Spitsbergen
Morning transfer to the airport and flight home
Other trips you may like
Dates & prices
Departures for English-speaking groups:
|From||To||Price per person||Guaranteed||Booking|
Departures for French-speaking groups:
No departure for now
Trip code: ENSPT2CA
- Airport transfers
- Guesthouse accommodation in Longyearbyen, shared facilities
- Full supervision by an experienced professional guide, all hikes are guided
- Full board except one evening meal (day 9)
- Day cruise of Isjford, includes lunch, Esmark Glacier, Alkhornet cliffs and Barentsburg
- Midnight sun cruise Longyearbyen - Svea Glacier - Longyearbyen
- Registration fee: €18 per person (free for under 12s)
- Evening meal on day 9 in Longyearbyen (kitchen facilities/restaurant options available)
- Meal in a local restaurant: from €30
- Svalbard museum: from €9
- Summer dog-sledding: from €110 for a half day excursion
- Sea-kayaking: prices vary (please contact us for more information)
Comfort: 4/5 Comfortable
Difficulty: 2/5 Moderate
Terms and conditions
Budget & exchange
- Any additional activities
- Drinks and personal expenses
- One evening meal in Longyearbyen, kitchen facilities, shops and restaurants available.
- A Sarsat beason
- A VHF radio
- A heavy caliber rifle
- An alarm gun
- A copy of Spitsbergens animal records
- A first aid kit
- Books about local flora and fauna
Our advice for keeping warm
- No cotton
- Bring dry spares of everything, including underwear and gloves
- Wear multiple layers including:
- A warm breathable base layer
- A second thermal layer
- Wind and waterproof protective out layers
Health information & recommendations
- The Norweigian Svalbard archipelago is the closest territory to the North Pole; Spitsbergen is the name of the largest island.
- Svalbard covers an area of around 39146 square miles (63000km2) and two thirds of this polar world are constantly covered by ice.
- The archipelago was deserted by human civilisation for a very long time but today has over 2600 inhabitants.
- The archipelago has 3 National Parks, 3 Nature Reserves, 15 Ornithological Reserves (bird reserves) and 3 Botanical Reserves.